The mission statement of the Sumter County Historical Society is, “to collect, preserve, promote and communicate the history of Sumter County.” The Sumter County Historical Society, is a not-for-profit 501(c)3 member-supported organization, it is dedicated to the preservation and interpretation of the history of the County Of Sumter Florida. In fulfilling this goal, the Society will:
- Collect, preserve and interpret genealogical, biographical, architectural, cultural and historical matter pertaining to the county of Sumter
- Own, preserve and open to the public such historical buildings, as it shall acquire
- Make its resources accessible to researchers, genealogists, and the general public
- Hold meetings, create exhibits, sponsor programs and run special events for the education and enjoyment of its members, and the general public
- Act in cooperation with public and private entities to promote awareness of and interest in Sumter's history and heritage and the present and future development of the county.
- As an educational and research institution, Sumter County Historical Society teaches Sumter County history through collections, scholarly publications, and research services